Meet the Sugar Glider

As an animal care student I'm given the chance to work with a variety of animals. From rodents to birds to exotic species. Within three weeks I care, learn and handle animals in our given section. My last three weeks was spent in the rodent room where I made loads of new furry friends. So let me introduce you to one of them.

Image courtesy of [think4photop] at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Sugar Gliders. Small, big eyed with a long tail and wings. A nocturnal marsupial that I hardly ever see. As a pet, never thought that such a cute critter existed as they are originally from the rainforests of Australia and Indonesia. 

Guys this is not a RODENT!!! They're marsupials (they carry their young like Kangaroos). Their typical lifespan can range from 12-15 years and they're fairly easy to take care of. As humans, we love the exotic and never before seen but I wouldn't keep one as a pet. 

Their diets mostly consists mainly of sweet fruit and veg (we feed the ones on campus the occasional jam or yogurt as a treat) and while easy to look after they require a fair amount of space. Having only one is not an option as they are social animals. 

Housetraining is not an option unfortunately which means that they're enclosure does tend to smell as they smear their feces wherever they are (not as bad as cleaning compared to the ferrets enclosure). Tame Sugar Gliders make great companions but mind their nails cause those can be pretty sharp. Once you become friends with them, their your friend for life.  

What do you think of the Sugar Glider?

24 comments

  1. I have honestly never heard of these before. They look cute but I bet they can give you a nasty nip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so cute!! i can remember reading about this in an animal magazine I used to get when I was younger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of these, but they are quite sweet, I would love to work with animals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've never heard of a sugar glider, how cute are they? Such fluffy tails but sharp claws!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow don't know of this and its very interesting awww so fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend has a couple of Sugar Gliders she rescued them, not 100% sure on the back story, but they are ever so cute. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sugar gliders. They are so cute. You're right though, Idon't think they are pet material. They need too much space. The same with chipmunks. I don't feel like they should be pets either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard about them. But it looks cute. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of a Sugar Glider before but they are such cute animals. How long have you worked with animals for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been working with animals since I was young but only recently started working with the more exotic species.

      Delete
  10. SO CUTE! I'd never heard of one before, and I feel like I'd mistake it for a little mousey or baby squirrel. Thank you for sharing! I can't get over how adorable it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, I love it!
    Ive heard of it but Ive never seen one up close and personal. I would love to though.
    Great post hun.
    Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I've never seen one of these little cuties before! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how gorgeous, what a sweet animal! I've never heard of one, so it's great to learn about a new animal. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of this before but he is very cute :) The hands kinda freak me out though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not a rodent? What a cute little fella!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I have heard of them before - but aren't they cute! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't remember ever having heard about them before. They are unbelievably cute, but cuteness is not a good enough reason to turn a wild species into pets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My daughter learnt about these at school and now says that they are her favourite animal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think he's super cute, but I'd probably scream if I didn't know he was on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww they are so cute! I don't know anyone who has one as a pet, I'd love to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's so cute! Your comment about the ferrets made me laugh though - we had ferrets at the school I went to, and OMG they were stinky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard of these but I love him! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did I ever hear of the Sugar Glider before? No. Do I want one? Yes. How cute are they?

    ReplyDelete