Dracula by Bram Stoker, My Thoughts


That's it!!! July ended and with it was the reading challenge hosted by Emma. While we were free to choose our own novels all of us had to read the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker. So what do I have to say about this book?

While I'm an avid fan of reading books based on the supernatural, this classic novel has placed itself on the very bottom of my list. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they absolutely loved classic novels.

It's easy enough to guess what this book was about. Told in the format of letters, diary entries and logs it starts of with a gentlemen named Jonathan who ventures of to visit Count Dracula. That's about as much as I can tell you as I never did finish the book. Was is hard to read? Not at all!!! It's just that this wasn't a book that caught my attention from the start.

Before I take a book home, I would read the back and the first couple of pages. I didn't do that this time and just took it home and started reading. Better to say that I attempted to read it. I'm not a hater of classics but this was just so painful. It was slow and dragging. The fact that it was written the format or letters and such just made it even harder to enjoy. There are books out there that are slow to start and as you get further in the excitement starts happening. This however didn't happen. I got a third of the way in and I had to put the book down and move onto my preferred reads.

That challenge might have counted as a failure in my part only because I didn't finish the proposed read but it was a pass for reading our chosen (unless it was supposed to be only about vampires and not all supernatural beings). Oh well, hopefully if there is a second challenge it will be more successful than this one.


7 comments

  1. Thank you for taking part in the challenge!
    I did struggle too.
    I will be hosting another challenge in November / December time, no theme as of yet, but please join us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it even if Dracula was a fail.
      I look forward to the next challenge :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad someone else shares my thoughts on Dracula, I started to feel like I was odd for how I felt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this (well I was supposed to) for my literature degree and I bailed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever seen the film, which I enjoyed, but now you say that the booked dragged on, I have to say, that the film did the same too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I love Dracula, I have read it so many times and I was delighted when it was on the reading list for the Gothic Fiction module of my degree. I do love the film too, I think Gary Oldman is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love classic horror and this has been on my reading list forever! Nothing will beat Nosferatu movie-wise though.

    Catstello | www.catttitudeandco.uk

    ReplyDelete