Chilli con carne, the healthy way

Taking a spin on the 31 Day Blog Challenge as I find a few of them receptive I thought that while keeping with blogging for the whole 31 Days when I can I'll either change the order or just post something different. Today would be in relation to my joining of Slimming World and sharing a healthier version of one of my favourite meals, Chilli con Carne (the meat free version).



Your ingredients:
-low calorie cooking spray
-onion (1)
-garlic cloves (2)
-chillies (2)
-cumin (2 tsp)
-coriander (1tsp) 
-paprika (1tsp)
-cayenne pepper (1tsp)
-passata
-tomato puree 
-beef stock cube
-quorn mince 
-kidney beans
-salt and pepper

Time to cook!!!

To start off makes sure that your onion, garlic and chilli are sliced and your kidney beans are drained and ready to go. Spray your saucepan with the low calorie cooking spray and fry off your onions until golden and soft before adding your mince.

As the mince is starting to cook add your garlic, chillies and spices. Stir it all occasionally for about 2-3 minutes.

Time to add your passata, tomato puree and beef stock and stir before bringing it to the boil. Let it bubble for a 1-2 before reducing the heat and simmering gently for 15mins until the liquid is slightly reduced.

Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the kidney beans. Let it all cook for another 5 minuets. Serve with rice. 

AND FINISHED!!!

The best thing about this recipe is that you can eat it hot or cold. A few tips, the original recipe calls for canned tomatoes but I have found that using the canned tomatoes does make the Chilli con Carne watery and tasteless. Passata will give the sauce more flavour as well as thicken it slightly. 

While I used quorn as preference (for those part of Slimming World, Quorn is syn free!!!) the healthier option is when using your preferred mince be sure to check that it is 5% fat or less.

I have a tendency to make this in the morning and let it set till I'm ready to eat and it tastes a whole lot better. Best part is if you have left overs then place it in a container and freeze the remainder. You've got something to pull out on a day when you just don't fancy cooking. If you give this recipe a try let me know!

3 comments

  1. That looks delicious! I can't wait to try this at home! So yummy :3 I love the look of your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! Shame my boyfriend is so fussy and won't eat chilli con carne :( lol ! x

    Natasha Kendall | Beauty and Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chilli Con Carne is one of my favourite meals! This recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete