A biker story

It's runs in the family and meeting my boyfriend ignited the passion into a never ending flame that won't simmer down. For most of my life the experience of riding bikes were from the back. A pillion who just enjoyed the thrill of the high speeds on the country roads. I never knew what it was like to be the one who holding that throttle. Never knew the sense of freedom that came with owing a motorbike. I had worked and worked, putting money aside just so I wouldn't spend it all in one go. A spark, the flame ignited. I was going to do it, go ahead and get my CBT done to start experiencing what it was like to have a motorbike of my own. My own two wheels of freedom. In 2013 I booked my CBT and went on the hunt for my first bike. What to choose? Sports bike? Naked bike? Big or small? The search began. Days on Ebay, days of conversation with boyfriend and his mother and partner. I had my heart set on the sports bikes but was advised against it as for a first bike it could be rather costly should I drop it. So along came this little Honda CG125. It was small, no fairings to worry about, a kickstart with a main stand.

Seconds ticked by and then before I knew it I had placed my bid and won!!! The little bike was mine. I was thrilled, over the moon. My first bike!!! Insurance I sorted on the same day and all that was left was to wait till she came home. Boyfriends mum and partner went to collect it the following day. I can remember the beep of the van horn and racing out to the garage. Impatiently I watched as they rolled it out. Keys handed to me, I popped them into the ignition, kicked her into start and the sound radiated through my ears. It wasn't as loud as I had hopped but there she was. My own set of two wheels ready for me once I passed my CBT.

The day came that I had to go and learn how to ride. I was nervous, hesitant. The instructor talked us through what we would be learning. About road procedures, what was expected of us in the lesson, gave us a tour of the circuit and an introduction to the bike. I couldn't wait to get started...was the feeling when I got on the bike but after that my nerves just picked up. Sad to say that by the end of the session I wasn't among the others going out on the road ride which meant I had failed my CBT. Boyfriend came to pick me up, home we went and once home I threw myself on the bed in tears of frustration. Thanks to boyfriends probing and edging I went to the garage, pulled out my bike and practiced. It took me three tries of returning to do my CBT but needless to say I got it in the end. I might not have been a natural rider like the others in my class but with perseverance and practice and determination I got there in the end.




6 comments

  1. Wow so cool! I have a friend that rides a motorcycle, after learning from her husbands family. They sold their cars and rely solely on their bikes. It's a great way to get around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an easier method than going by car. I drive both and motorbike is less stressful. The downside is weather. You don't want to be out when the roads are full of ice and flooded from rain.

      Delete
  2. I have ridden on the back on a bike but never as a driver. I can see the appeal but I also know people who have crashed their bikes. Do you ever get scared on a bike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time that I've been afraid on a bike was when I started learning to ride a 600cc in order to get my full bike liscense. Fear is something that you don't want to have when you're riding a motorbike. It leads you to falling and making silly mistakes.

      Delete
  3. Nice! I love it when a girl gets into an action sport :D I am myself a downhill longboarder. Exhilarating isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very exhilarating and the feeling of freedom that comes with it is just as great.

      Delete