Pinawalla Elephant Orphanage








Located in Pinawalla, there's an orphanage that holds onto one of my favourite childhood memories. After such a long time and returning back to this place it was an eye opener to what I thought to be a wonderful place. Pinawalla Elephant Orphanage is an orphanage, nursery and captive breeding ground for wild Asian Elephants. Founded in order to afford care and protection to many orphaned, unweaned elephants found wandering in and near the forests of Sri Lanka, This orphanage is a popular spot for tourists and locals.

You're given the chance to walk around and see them and the workers will call you over to pet and take a photo with them. I wasn't all that keen to pet them as in my eyes their wild animals and you wouldn't go out and stroke a wild elephant so why do it then. It was painful to see that couple of the elephants were chained up and secluded from the herds. Those that were used for photo opportunities had chains wrapped around their necks and connected with their feet and it was hard to look at them.

While I passed the opportunity to feed the babies I did take up the chance to hand feed one of the older ones. It was an unforgettable experience being able to pass fruit to her and getting a feel of her tongue. After I was done she was still begging for more and would have gladly done so if I had the time.

With my photography session done and finished admiring the intelligent we took a break from the heat having a cool drink while we waited for the elephants to be taken down to the river for their bath. When it came to the time the crowd parted and cameras flashed as everyone watched the herd being led to the river. I loved watching them having their fun time playing in the water, The babies cried out in joy wile some of the older ones crossed to the other side to enjoy the shade and grass. If if wasn't for the heat beating down on me I would have stayed the full two hours watching.

In the future I would like to spend more time at the orphanage even with me not agreeing to the chains and treatment of some of the younger elephants. It will still be one of my favourite memories.

5 comments

  1. This is absolutely amazing. I am lost for words. Beautiful. Not sure I agree with the chains either. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Glad to hear someone else doesn't agree with the chains. Understandable that it's a safety precaution but why put some in chains and let the others be free...

      Delete
  2. It's great to see something completely different and unique on someones blog! I love the pictures they're fab and it's a really interesting to read about, and sounds like it was actually emotional! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It was quite emotional. If you're one who enjoys traveling I would recommend the orphanage as a place to visit.

      Delete
  3. wow, so nice to see such a completely different blog post. Very emotional

    ReplyDelete